This position reports directly to the Sales Manager, and dotted line to the Executive Manager.
Strategic Job Functions
Communication and Interaction with Management
Due to the nature of this front line sales position it is critical to be a good communicator. As a District Sales Executive you are in a very independent job that requires you keep many people updated on your progress. The following are expectations in this area:
- Update all calls and opportunities in CRM.
- Attend local branch sales meetings and contribute strategic information to the team including key results from your past weeks calls, updates on current target accounts and a review of this weeks key upcoming calls.
- Use the Executive Manager and Sales Manager as your source for operational support and account strategy.
You are responsible to stay updated on the company's various service offerings and new service development. You can use your internal sources to support this on-going education. It is also important for you to know you who our top customers are and what types of specific solutions we provide to them.
Market Intelligence Feedback
As a field sales person, you are required to keep us updated on market intelligence such as:
- Competitive Information
- Customer Requirements
- Potential New Product Developments
- Feedback to management
You should be involved in local trade groups and have a strong local network to ensure you keep us updated:
- Join local traffic clubs
- Council of Logistics Management
- Trade Department
As you will be assigned a territory, it is part of your job requirement that you manage that Territory and know every potential account that resides in it. This includes:
- Segmenting your territory into sub-areas
- Driving around your area on weekend and with free time to prospect
- Join the local chamber of commerce or equivalent
You own this territory so practice the "Big Dog" concept.
Tactical Job Functions
Calls Per Week
The guideline for the number of sales calls is 15 per week. 60% of these calls should be set aside for target accounts, 30% for Prospects and 10% for retention. All Call information must be entered into the CRM Database.
The Sales Executive is expected to have extensive knowledge of their territory, including all shippers/consignees. This will be done Geographically by having a defined territory in which to work. Territory management includes knowing every potential customer inside your territory and using down time (between calls and weekends) to drive around and gather data on potential new accounts.
Target Account Management
The Sales Executive would be expected to have a minimum of 50 ongoing active target accounts, which should be attainable and serviceable. You should use CRM opportunities to manage your target accounts through the sales pipeline.
The Sales Executive will provide reliable information to assist the Sales Manager in the preparation of annual budgets. It is anticipated that a minimum guideline/success would be to close on at least 20 accounts per year.
The following outline describes our expectations for your level of communication. This is a critical part of your job responsibility. Communication between sales, management and operations is critical to the success of the branch. Communication is your responsibility. Some key areas of communication include:
Internal (within our network)
- 24 hour response to all requests for information or sales leads (domestic and international)
Note: If you do not have an answer, at least acknowledge the request and explain the time frame for follow up.
- Weekly communication of your call planer to handed to your manager
- Weekly discussions with your key department managers to update them on progress with target accounts and to receive data on client retention progress for your in-house accounts.
External (Customers & Suppliers)
- Maximum 2 Hour response to all client inquiries, rate requests, complaints, etc. (again, if you need to go overseas for information or need additional time, get right back to the customer and explain the time frame for follow up).
Walkin for you